The property's earlier history can be traced back to Roman times. A Roman road ran past the present western boundary and Roman coins have recently been found in the area.
The oldest part of the house itself dates back to the 17th Century. A stone dated 1608 can be found in the boundary wall.
Towards the end of the last century the property belonged to the Oxley family who had connections in the city of London.
Further additions to the house were made by William Campbell, Governor of the Bank of England who purchased the estate in 1909.
In 1984 the mansion was purchased by International Hotels Limited and was meticulously restored and re-named Alexander House.
In 2002 Utopia Leisure purchased Alexander House and an 18-month redecoration process transformed Alexander House to the elegant, stylish, luxury hotel it is today.
In 2006, Alexander House Hotel proudly opened its flagship Utopia Spa, cementing the hotel's reputation as one of England's finest destination spas in the UK.