A Brief History of Langshott Manor
The Manor House is a timber-framed, central-chimney House of Tudor origin, circa 1580.
The site of the Manor was once moated, hence today’s ponds. It is believed that a much earlier house occupied the site before the present Manor was built 400 years ago. Certainly many second-hand timbers were used in its construction and these were uncovered, during restoration work.
In 1669, during the reign of King Charles II, Richard Evelyn (brother of the famous diarist John Evelyn) and his wife Elizabeth, who was the daughter, and heiress of George Minne of Epsom, held the land as a Manor.
They had four sons and one daughter but all four sons died in infancy. The daughter, Anne, married William Montague, son of Lord Chief Baron of the Exchequer, but she died childless. It was during this time that the East Wing of the house was built and there is a stone over the inglenook in the dining room that probably commemorates this.
On Anne’s death the house then passed to the Montague family.
Soon after this the property passed into the hands of a family called Barnes. William Barnes of Horley married Sarah Bridges who, having outlived her husband, bequeathed the estate on her death to her nephew, Alexander Bridges, in 1733. It is with this family that Langshott remained until 1921.
This century, Langshott has been the home of Lord Montague of Brandon, 6th Baron and then of Major Jennings who filled the house with six young boy evacuees from the East End during the Second World War. Two of them, now in their seventies have since come back to visit, bringing with them some fascinating stories.
Unfortunately this wonderful house was then forgotten, neglected and unloved for a number of years, until the Noble family came in.
The Nobles bought the house and three acres of land in September 1986 at auction, and then proceeded to give it constant and ceaseless loving care for eleven years. During this time they had the great pleasure of watching the old Manor come back to life again. The Manor has such tremendous welcoming warmth, entwined with charm and character, with a lot of living and giving still to do
The Hinchcliffes bought the house in October 1997 and since have embarked on a refurbishment programme that has seen a transformation of the Manor and gardens with the building of a new restaurant, and most recently, an additional wing which houses a further 7 bedrooms.
The house is in every sense a living thing and we all watch with excitement as she continues to grow.